Railroad beds across America require constant inspection and upkeep, and an important part of this activity is the repair, replacement and rehab of aging culverts, most of which were installed decades ago. Many of these corrugated metal culverts are so significantly rusted that a danger of surface irregularities, track settlement, tract alignment issues and flooding exists. Concrete culverts have cracked or pulled apart at the joints, creating similar dangerous scenarios. The constant vibration of tons of freight passing overhead also contributes to track deficiencies, since the safety and stability of the track structure is dependent upon properly designed and functioning culverts.
Engineers and railroad contractors are scrambling to find a solution that is economically feasible, quick, and avoids costly track closures and detours.
The Snap-Tite® HDPE Lining System is that no-dig solution, and has become the first choice for culvert rehabilitation for many reasons:
- Utilizes durable, flexible high-density polyethylene pipe (HDPE) with male/female machining, allowing it to be ‘snapped’ together for a secure and water tight joint, meeting ASTM D3212 requirements, as well as AASHTO Standard M326.
- Available in lengths from 2 feet to 50 feet long; available for existing culverts with diameters from 8 inches to 84 inches, including oval culvert applications.
- Nearly all installation work can be done away from the tracks at the base of the rail bed: keeping equipment out of the way and workers safer. It is seldom necessary to interrupt or re-route rail traffic. Because it comes in sections, Snap-Tite® can also be installed in tight quarters, with minimum disturbance to the right of way.
- Installation is easier, done with light duty equipment — there is no digging. Most highway departments or contractors can use their own crews without the need for special training or specialized equipment.
- In most cases, the rehabilitated culvert will have the same — or greater flow — than the old culvert.
- Dollar for dollar, Snap-Tite® is more economical and provides longer life than other outdated culvert rehabilitation options.